Selecting Text Vertically In Word

How do I select a block of text over several lines and paragraphs in Word without selecting the whole lines?

I new co-worker of mine introduced this nifty little trick to me yesterday in class. I saw this a long time ago and had forgotten it.

Just hold down the Alt key while you select and you can scribe a block on the page that is selected. It will look like this.

Selecting using Alt in Word

This should also work in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I find at times that I want to select text vertically on a web page—especially in tables—but Internet Explorer selects the end of the starting row and the entire subsequent rows of the table. Next time, I’m going to select the whole document, paste it into Word and then cut it up how I want to.

Thanks Daphne!